Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Michael Goldfinger
    Participant
    Premium Member

Hi, in Europe is a problem with google fonts at the moment, we would need a possibility to absolutely block google fonts or to show where they are saved localy

Michael Goldfinger
    Participant
    Premium Member

To be more clear it is at the moment not possible to use google fonts with the exception of hosting them locally.
    So either disable google fonts in general and only use other fonts like fonts.com, adobe fonts, font awesome, or host all needed fonts locally.

It would also be more convenient on the Theme->Customization->Typographic section to show the origin of the font like “Open Sans (Google Font)” and so on.
    An option to download all used fonts automatically and use the local version would be perfect.

I tried using a plugin “Local Google Fonts” but it does not catch all fonts on your theme.

Also adding this option for other used font hosting services would be beneficial for the future if similar things happens with other font services too.

vako
    Keymaster
    WP Royal Team

Hi Michael,

At first, thank you for choosing our theme and service.

I will redirect this topic to the developer’s board and they will contact you.

Kind Regards

Michael Goldfinger
    Participant
    Premium Member

After spending another day I can give some additional information.
    1) Using “Local Google Fonts” plugin replaced all google fonts in your Theme with local copies.
    2) As far as I can see this is still true if adding the suggested plugins Elementor and Royal Elementor Addons.
    3) The cases where google fonts are still loaded are
    a) Use of ReCapture
    b) Embedding Youtube video
    c) Embedding Google Maps.
    d) In general google fonts embedded in iframes

As of point 3 this seems to be to far fetched to be a concern for a theme. Since the solution in 1 is working I am totally fine with it as long as this solution is working, the plugin states a few cases in there description where it is not this should be avoided.
    Since I already use many plugins it would not harm reduce that count a bit and  include the option to download used fonts (regardless if it it Google Fonts, Font Awesome or Bunny Fonts) and link them locally instead of referring to the external servers.

My current solution is to use an nginx proxy to download and store all fonts and rewrite the urls of the fonts with nginx. That is of course only possible if you run a dedicated server and most wp users do not have that option.

vako
    Keymaster
    WP Royal Team

Hi Michael,

Your case is already sent to the dev team, they will contact you as soon as they have any news.

Kind Regards

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.