Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    John N
    Participant
    Premium Member

I’ve started getting a strange error on my blog. It loads fine once or twice (either front page or single posts), but then when trying to load another one, it won’t work. Page becomes blank and it just keeps loading forever.

However, if I try again a minute or two later, it suddenly works… once or twice, then the same problem.

I’ve tried with different browsers and devices, same problem

Pretty sure it’s the theme — tried with another one and didn’t get the same problem.

Blog is at dawn.nu

Any idea what’s wrong?

vako
    Keymaster
    WP Royal Team

Hi John,

Can you please describe the issue you have more detailed? Please share a direct link to the page where the issue appears and for more clarifications, screenshots will be much appreciated.

Kind Regards

John N
    Participant
    Premium Member

It’s easy to reproduce (at least on my devices, an ipad and an iphone).

The problem occurs everywhere, no matter what post. For example: there’s a sidebar widget with ”recent posts”. Click one post (anyone), then another, then another. Or just keep reloading the same post, or even the main site.

Keep doing that several times, and eventually the post won’t load properly. What you get is an empty screen with the animated loading icon that keeps going forever (I’ve waited for several minutes, it just won’t load).

Earlier it only took a couple of clicks to get this error, but when I tried right now I had to load 5-6 different posts before it happened.

vako
    Keymaster
    WP Royal Team

Hi John,

We tried to reproduce the issue on our several times, but no luck. Maybe the issue appears only on your end?

But as you described in the second part, if you make too much internal redirects server can stop working because of the security reasons, we should tale a look at this side too, please contact your server/hosting provider and ask them to check for the issue.

Kind Regards

John N
    Participant
    Premium Member

Hey,

I did consider that it might be some kind of DoS-protection that was getting triggered, but then there was also the matter that I didn’t get the same problem when using another theme (Twenty Twenty-One, specifically), only Bard. That’s why I contacted you and not the server host provider.

In any case, it wasn’t DoS-protection, but CPU-overload protection. Loading the blog repeatedly pushed the cpu too hard, and triggered a temporary block. I guess that means that Bard demands more cpu. That makes sense since the 2021 theme doesn’t even use a header picture, but it still seems a bit strange that the cpu would overload that easily, even though it is a weak server.

A couple of days later things were working fine, and I was unable to trigger to same protection. Not sure what changed. Maybe earlier, others visited the blog at the exact same time I was doing tests, adding to the overall load, or maybe the updated version of Bard has optimized the scrips. Or something. Not sure what’s going on.

To make the blog more resilient, I’ve upgraded the server plan. But I’m also looking to optimize the blog in other ways, and I’m considering getting a caching plugin. But there are a whole bunch of them, and I was wondering if Bard perhaps works better with some than others? If you know.

vako
    Keymaster
    WP Royal Team

Hi John,

I will redirect this topic to the developer’s board and they will contact you.

Kind Regards

John N
    Participant
    Premium Member

Hey. I’ve done some preliminary testing using the WP Fastest Cache plugin, and it seems to be working fine, no compatibility issues or anytning (not that I thought there would be).

So no assistance required at the moment.

(However, I’ve also done some site testing using tools like the one on web.dev, and I may have some other questions and suggestions, but I’ll do some more testing and experimenting first, and if I return here I’ll start a new thread.)

vako
    Keymaster
    WP Royal Team

Feel free to contact us at any time, we are more than happy to help.

Kind Regards

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.